Graduate School of Theology representatives are available Monday through Friday from 9am to 6pm CST.

1-800-443-1083 or
1-417-862-9533 if calling from outside the USA
Frequently Asked Questions

Questions about:

Course Requirements
Learning Resources


  1. Is Global University accredited?

    Global University is accredited with The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association. NCA/HLC is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Global University is listed in Accredited Institutions of Postsecondary Education, the official guide to institutions of higher learning accredited by agencies that are recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).

    Global University is incorporated in the State of Missouri and is certified to operate by the Missouri Coordinating Board for Higher Education. Visit our accreditation and authorization page for more information.

  2. Do other institutions accept Global University degrees and transfer credits?

    The registrar or dean at a college or university has the final word for whether or not degrees and transfer credits from outside institutions are accepted. Many colleges, universities, and seminaries have accepted Global University courses for transfer of credit, and its degrees as fulfillment of degree requirements for advanced studies.

  3. How many graduate credits can be transferred into a Global University graduate degree or certificate program?

    The maximum graduate-level credits that may be transferred into a Global University graduate program are:
    • 3 credits for a doctor of ministry program (for 30 credits beyond master of divinity requirements)
    • 21 credits for a master of divinity program,
    • 9 credits for a master of arts program, and
    • 6 credits for a graduate studies certificate program.

    Transferred credit may not be substituted for Graduate Research and Writing, Research Methodology, or the Graduate Thesis/Dissertation without prior approval of the Dean. The number of transfer credits allowed for a doctor of ministry program will vary depending on the student's latest degree prior to applying for the doctor of ministry program, but up to 3 doctoral-level credits may be transferred to fulfill the requirement for 30 credits beyond the MDiv.

    To qualify for transfer, credits must: be earned from an accredited institution of higher learning, have a minimum grade of B- (or its equivalent, based on the approved grading system of the Graduate School of Theology), and be compatible in content to the GU degree or certificate program chosen by the student.

    No credit will be given for life experience in lieu of taking courses for graduate credit.

  4. How long will it take to complete a graduate degree?

    The time to complete a graduate degree or certificate will vary, depending on how much time a student devotes to studies. A full-time student can complete a master of divinity degree in three to four years, a master of arts degree in two to three years, or a graduate certificate in one year. The time required to complete a doctor of ministry degree with vary depending on previous degrees earned by the student.

    The maximum enrollment time for each individual course is six months, but a student who is serious about a degree will seldom take the full time allowed for a course. The maximum time allowed to complete all course work and other requirements is ten years for a master of divinity degree, seven years for a master of arts degree, and two years for a graduate studies certificate. Time is counted from the date of enrollment in the first graduate course after admission to the respective program.

  5. What are the prerequisites for admission into the Graduate School of Theology?

    A bachelor of arts or equivalent degree from an accredited institution is required, with a minimum grade point average of 3.00 (or its equivalent) for the institution where the last degree was earned.

    A minimum of 12 credits of undergraduate course work in Bible and theology is required for all master of arts degree plans and the certificate in New Testament studies. Qualified students may waive all or part of the undergraduate-level Bible and theology admissions requirements by successfully completing proficiency examinations.

    Students must be able to study and communicate in standard English at a graduate level of studies.

    Requirements for admission to a doctor of ministry program include the following:
    1. A master's degree from an accredited institution with a grade point average of 3.00 (or its equivalent; no exceptions) or an MDiv.
    2. Successful completion of at least one year (minimum of 6 credits) of biblical Greek. (only applies to the Biblical Studies and Theology track)
    3. Current ministerial credentials.
    4. A minimum of three years of active ministry experience and a committment to remain in ministry..

  6. How do I withdraw from a Undergraduate program of study or a course?

    Requests to withdraw from a Program or course should be submitted online or directed to Customer Service:
    Please see page 16 of the Undergraduate Catalog for Cancellation and refund policy.

Back to top

Cost: (subject to change without notice):

  1. What is the cost for tuition?

    As of January 1, 2017, tuition is $256 per credit ($768 for a 3-credit course). Total tuition at this rate is:
    $19,968 for a 78-credit master of divinity degree,
    $9,216 for a 36-credit master of arts degree, and
    $4,608 for an 18-credit graduate studies certificate.
    The cost of tuition for a doctor of ministry degree will vary from a minimum of $7,680 upward, depending on previous graduate degree(s) earned.

    This tuition is for students enrolled through the International Graduate Studies Group in Springfield, Missouri, USA. Graduate students studying through authorized graduate studies offices outside the USA should check with the respective office for cost of tuition, fees, and course materials. All prices are subject to change without notice.

  2. How much do course materials cost?

    The average list price for materials for a graduate course was about $145 in January 2014.

  3. Are additional fees required?

    Yes, there are other fees in addition to tuition and course materials. See the list of fees .

  4. How do I pay?

    Advance payment is required for tuition, materials, and all services offered by Global University. Payment must be in USA dollars and may be made by check, international money order, or by VISA, MasterCard, or Discover.

  5. Do you have financial assistance programs?

    Global University has been approved for benefits, whereby a qualified veteran may be reimbursed by the Veterans Administration for tuition and fees.

    Also, active USA military personnel may qualify for Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) funding for Global University courses they complete. To apply for this assistance, military personnel must complete and submit the appropriate Department of Defense form, which is available from the military education office.

Back to top


  1. How do I apply?

    Complete and submit a Graduate School of Theology Application Packet with all required components and the application fee to the Graduate School of Theology.

    A student may enroll under special student status by completing and submitting the components of the Application Packet that are required for special student admission. In order for a student to be admitted to a degree or certificate program, application requirements must be met, the additional application fee paid, and approval granted for admission to the Graduate School of Theology as a program student.

  2. How do I enroll in a course?

    A student who has been granted admission to the Graduate School of Theology may enroll in individual courses by one of the following methods:
    1. Order by mail by completing the course order form and mailing it to Global University with payment.
    2. Order by fax by completing the course order form and faxing it to 417-862-0863.
    3. Order by phone by calling 1-800-443-1083 option 4 to speak with a U.S. Student Services Representative.

    Students who enroll through any other authorized graduate studies office should follow submission instructions for the specific enrollment office.

    Students who reside outside the USA should contact the national Global University (known as ICI in some countries) office of their country. If the country is not served locally by an authorized Global University graduate studies office, the student may enroll through Global University's International Graduate Studies Group in Springfield, Missouri, at USA prices.

  3. What is the class schedule?

    Students may enroll at any time for independent study. A mentor will be assigned for each course enrollment, and the student will be allowed a maximum of six months from the course enrollment date to complete the course and submit all required assignments.

    Students who enroll for online study will adhere to the course schedule for the specific course and will normally be expected to complete at least one lesson per week, for a maximum of 15 lessons. Written unit assignments will be due within one week from the completion date of the last lesson of a unit. The final written assignment normally will be due within one month from the date of the last lesson.

  4. Where is the campus?

    The International Graduate Studies Office is located at Global University's International Office in Springfield, Missouri, USA. Global University graduate students reside in more than 40 countries.

    A student may complete requirements for all graduate degree and certificate programs by independent study or online without relocating.

Back to top

Course Requirements:

  1. What am I required to do in a course?

    Global University graduate courses are based on a research and writing model that requires a student to process information through critical analysis, cognitive ordering, and application in an integrated, effective, and confluent fashion through written unit and final assignments. Most courses have four or five unit assignments of six to eight pages per assignment, with a final assignment of twenty to twenty-five pages.

    Requirements for some graduate biblical language courses include supervised unit and final examinations with objective and subjective components and a sight translation. Most other graduate courses do not require a supervised examination.

  2. How do I submit assignments?

    Unit and final assignments are submitted directly to the mentor who is assigned for a specific course. Although it is preferred that assignments be submitted electronically as e-mail attachments, assignments submitted by postal delivery or fax are acceptable if electronic submission is not feasible.

Back to top

Learning Resources:

  1. Will I have a library card?

    A student may request a Global University student picture identification card that can be used to gain access to many libraries worldwide.

  2. Do students have access to an online library?

    Students enrolled in Global University have unrestricted access to many learning resources through Global University's online library. The electronic library access fee that is included in each course enrollment gives password-restricted access to many additional online resources.

Back to top